To add a new user:
- Navigate to Site Administration from Administration block
- Navigate to Users and then to Accounts
- Select Add a new user
- Fill the mandatory fields click Create user
The compulsory fields in a standard install are:
- First name
- Email address
Short description of the fields:
- Username - The user will use this username to log in to the Moodle instance. It needs to be unique. This may be changed. A user's name can only contain alphabetical letters in lowercase, numbers, hyphen '-', underscore '_', period '.', or an at character '@' - unless you enable 'Allow extended characters in usernames' ( Site Administration > Security > Site Policies)
- Authentication method - The setting specifies how Moodle will check whether the user's specified password is correct. Accounts created by an administrator use the Manual Accounts method, and accounts created by the user themselves using the email sign-up method use the E-mail based self-registration method.
- HR Import? - Enabling HR Import will cause the element to be updated/deleted from an external source (if configured). The idnumber field MUST have a value to enable this field. See the HR Import settings in the Administration menu.
- Suspended account - Suspended user accounts cannot log in or use web services, and any outgoing messages are discarded.
- Generate password and notify user - Moodle will generate a temporary password and email the user with instructions on how to log in and change it.
- Password - This is the user's password. It is subject to the password policy in Site policies. A user can change their password via User menu > Preferences.
- First Name - The user's first name. It is displayed along with the last name in messages, forum posts, participants list, reports and anywhere where something about the user is shows on the page.
- Surname - The user's surname. It is displayed along with the first name in messages, forum posts, participants list, reports and anywhere where something about the user is shows on the page.
- Email address - Password reset notices, forum digests and other messages are sent to this email address from the Moodle site.
- Email display - This setting controls who can see the user's email address.
- City/town - The user's city or town
- Country - The user's country (Note: City and country defaults may be set in Administration > Site administration > Location > Location settings)
- Timezone - This setting is used to adjust the times of messages and assignment/quiz due dates to match the user's local time
- Description - Information about the user that other users can see.